With The 148th Open at Royal Portrush now in the books, we're looking ahead to what The Open has in store for 2021.
Here is everything you need to know about The 149th Open.
When is The 149th Open?
The 149th Open will be held from 11 July-18 July 2021.
- First Round — Thursday, 16 July
- Second Round — Friday, 17 July
- Third Round — Saturday, 18 July
- Fourth Round — Sunday, 19 July
Where is The 149th Open?
The 149th Open will be held at Royal St. George's Golf Club in Sandwich, Kent, England.
About Royal St. George's
In 1894, Royal St. George's became the first course outside of Scotland to ever host The Open and the first English course to welcome golf's oldest Major Championship.
The first Championship at Royal St. George saw another piece of history as J.H. Taylor became the first Englishman to win the Claret Jug.
Royal St. George's is England's most acclaimed host of The Open, holding the Championship an English-record 15 times (including 2020).
Read This: Royal St. George's Course Breakdown
Past Champion Golfers of the Year
Shane Lowry — 2019
Francesco Molinari — 2018
Jordan Spieth — 2017
Henrik Stenson — 2016
Zach Johnson — 2015
Rory McIlroy — 2014
How to Qualify for The Open 2021
1. Former Champion Golfers of the Year who are 60 or under.
2. Past winners of:
- The Open (previous 10 winners)
- The Masters (previous 5 winners)
- PGA Championship (previous 5 winners)
- U.S. Open (previous 5 winners)
- THE PLAYERS Championship (previous 3 winners)
- BMW PGA Championship (previous 3 winners)
- Open de Argentina (previous winners)
- Japan Open (previous winner)
- The Senior Open (previous winner)
3. The top 10 from The Open of the previous year
4. Top 50 of the Official World Golf Ranking
The Open Qualifying Series
Many golfers can punch their ticket to Royal St. George's through The Open Qualification Series, a global series of tournaments that promise a set number of automatic qualifying spots. In 2018, The Open Qualification Series opened up 46 spots in The 148th Open over 16 events.
Typically, the top three players from each event will be given automatic qualification into The Open if they were not already exempt.
Golfers Who Have Won The Open at Royal St. George's
Over the course of 14 Opens at Royal St. George's, 12 different golfers have claimed the Claret Jug:
- Darren Clarke — 2011
- Ben Curtis — 2003
- Greg Norman — 1993
- Sandy Lyle — 1985
- Bill Rogers — 1981
- Bobby Locke — 1949
- Reg Whitcombe — 1938
- Henry Cotton — 1934
- Walter Hagen — 1922 & 1928
- Jack White — 1904
- Harry Vardon — 1899 & 1911
- J.H. Taylor — 1894
Is there Hospitality at Royal St. George's?
The Open Experiences will be hosting hospitality during The 149th Open in Champions. This space overlooks the 16th hole at Royal St. George's, making sure that attendees don't miss a moment of the action while enjoying hospitality. Champions Hospitality also features a private Q&A session with a past or current player, premium dining selections throughout the day and other exclusive extras.
Champions Hospitality is available through an Official Experience Package from The Open Experiences.
How to Buy Tickets to The Open 2021
Tickets for The 149th Open will soon be available through The Open Experiences. Join the waitlist today to be the first to know when they go on sale.